Do you have access to wireless internet at home?
If you are a wordpress blogger, then you probably do. It’s expensive though.
I didn’t know until I watched this video that so many people are unable to access the internet, not just for themselves, but for their children.
Watching this very informative video from Moyers and company and I think I’ve found a new Shero – Susan Crawford.
This looks like a truly informative book to add to my collection – Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age.
I also very much like the quote at the beginning of the video…
In this interview Susan Crawford is the voice of news and she is not keeping anything hidden!
Some key points to mull over…
- Americans invented the internet but that was ‘generation 1’.
- We are now ‘generation 2’.
- Access to the internet is treated as a utility.
- For at least one third of Americans – the cost is too steep.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t like the idea of my income being ‘harvested’ as Susan says in order to bloat the pockets of the communications industry
Makes me sound like an organ donor out of one of those creepy 70s movies.
Some more key eye-opening points
- Comcast is now bigger than McDonalds
- The US at best is in the middle of the pack as far as growing it’s own interweb
- In China you can get a 500mb connection for $25.00 per month
- In Seoul South Korea you get three choices of internet provider and they set you up in one day
- In NYC, there is one choice which costs about $200 pm.
In the spirit of blogging…pass this information around the internet enough and there’ll be a tipping point.
I’m about ready to pay less for my internet connection.
How about you?